Sunday, February 10, 2013

The New Normal

"I am caught between a moto and a donkey cart."

This is something I found myself saying this week, and as soon as I said it I just had to laugh. A couple of months ago this statement would have been completely ridiculous, but I now find myself in this dilemma a little too often. Those moto's and donkey carts have a tendency of sneaking up on a person, ya know?

Since moving to Africa, I have developed a new "normal." Things that may have sounded a little bit off in the States are now things I embrace. I've learned to never laugh at an idea because you may find yourself living in Africa and partaking in it one day. Here are a few things that might become normal for you if you move to this part of the world..

Staying up until 4 a.m. to finish the Superbowl.
Now, I grew up in a family where football is definitely appreciated. (Don't speak to my 93 year old great grandmother while the Redskins are playing..it doesn't end well for you.) But, I also like my sleep...a lot. If you would have told me a year ago that I would stay up until 4 a.m. to watch the Superbowl..and the Cowboys aren't even playing..I would have laughed at you. However, where was I in the early morning hours on February 4, 2013? That's right..propped up in bed watching Jacoby Jones breaking.it.down in the end zone. 

Seeing pop tarts as a delicacy.
A couple of weeks ago I received a package that had these babies in it...and it was the value pack y'all. Multiple flavors. While living in the States, I ate these as much as the next person. They were good. Moving to Africa moved these to the whole next level. I am rationing these out so I can make them last as long as possible. I never thought I'd be the person that savors every bite of a pop tart, but it's happening. 

Finding myself saying phrases like, "We have to leave now because the horse carts quit running in a little bit."
There aren't many cars in the town that I'm living in, and if you see a car chances are you're better off walking. They are a little a lot sketchy. So, the main mode of transportation are horse carts. These run all over town, but they are a little hard to catch in the afternoon hours. So, if you want to go to the market it is easier to schedule your trip at a time when the carts are running. I've had some crazy experiences on horses, so I'm not a huge fan of them. Here, though, I actually enjoy these rides. They become fun times where I'm able to joke with the women. And if you're lucky, you can catch the horse they call "Toyota." It's the fastest around, y'all.

Not flinching when I see a lizard in my house.
I promise you our house is clean, but this is Africa, and sometimes we find little "friends" here. Now, if you know me, you know I can not stand any kind of reptile. Frogs, lizards, geckos...they're creepy. But sometimes you just have to say "C'est la vie." I haven't reached this point with rats, though. I still scream and run in my room and shut the door if we see one of those little suckers.

Being overjoyed when I walk into a grocery store and see this...
...American cereal. Enough said.


This is life here. This is my normal. This is an adventure, a struggle, a blessing. Life is not predictable here, but that's what makes it great. You need the Father's grace and direction on a daily basis, and you are so aware of it. 
So thankful for this new normal.

1 comment:

  1. oh man i would go crazy when i saw all of those boxes of cereal too, such a delicacy im sure in africa. i have lived in other countries too and it is a treat when you get a taste of home!

    ReplyDelete