Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day in the Life

Sometimes I still find it so surreal that I'm doing life in Africa. I'm not here on a short trip. I'm not flying "home" in a couple of days. I am learning language, building friendships, and sharing experiences with people here on a daily basis. That blows my mind every single time I truly take time to think about it. 

However-I am settling into life here. I'm seeing people I know in the market and having conversations. I'm able to joke and laugh with people...or they're laughing at me. Both happen on a fairly regular basis. Since I've arrived people have asked, "What exactly do you DO over there?" So, I thought I'd share what a normal day looks like for me...

7-8: Wake up with a little jog where I get to see sights like this...

I also see crazy, wild dogs, but since I pick up the pace a little during those times, I wasn't able to get a picture. Sorry.

8-10: Figure out breakfast/spend time with the Father/go to the market if I need anything.

Now, there is nothing that I can think of that compares to a trip to the market. It is one of my favorite things. Here's a glimpse of what going to the market means..

           You hop on              Buy vegetables/visit friends.           Stock up on fresh(?) food.
                          a horse cart.

10-12: First half of language time. (Whenever I finish with language, I will have 5 months of "official" studying.)

12-4: This time varies depending on the day. This is the hottest part of the day, so many people shut down businesses and go home to cook/rest. A little siesta time, if you will. If I'm not going to a friends house I eat lunch at home, spend some more "quality time" with the old language book, catch up on e-mails..that sort of thing. However, if I'm going to someone's house it's an all afternoon event. The culture here doesn't eat lunch until 1 or 2..or 3. Whatever works for them that day. So, I usually go around 1 and stay until I have to leave for the second part of language. I absolutely love spending these lunch hours at friends houses. 

4-6: This is my 2nd part of language time where I go out visiting  people to work on my speaking skills. Usually we enjoy attaya, have dance parties, or just sit around and enjoy each other's company.



 6-...: This is a time where we figure out what we're eating for dinner/(I figure out how to) cook dinner/people stop by for visits. 

This is a relationship oriented culture, so a lot of my time centers on building relationships with people at this point. It's been fun to see how these relationships have evolved into friendships. The people I'm surrounded by are sweet people, and great friends. I'm so glad that I have the chance to just sit and "be" with the people here. My days are full of learning, whether it's language or so much more. I'm continually being taught so many things, and I hope I never lose the wonder I feel whenever I step out of my house. 

Join me in lifting up these days, in lifting up these relationships. The fact that I have you remembering throughout these times means more to me than you'll ever know.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing a glimps into your day. I think of you often. Hope you have/had a wonderfully happy birthday. Let us know how they celebrate birthdays in Africa. Love you, Mr. Bill & Mrs. Sue

    ReplyDelete