Monday, December 17, 2012

A different kind of Winter Wonderland

Well, the holiday season is for sure here! If I thought moving to a different continent would change the hectic schedule during this time, I was wrong! Life here has been anything but slow. While many of you are snuggling up to the fires, singing "Baby, it's cold outside," or drinking hot chocolate, I have been figuring out how winter works in West Africa. There may not be much of a winter here, but it is definitely still a Wonderland to me. Many of you have been asking about living conditions, so I thought I'd share a small glimpse into some everyday sights. 

This is the main street through our little town. On a normal day you are usually dodging people, moto's and horse/donkey carts as you walk to the market. However, it was 70-75 degrees on this particular day, so nobody was out! We asked a friend where everyone was-her response? "It's too cold to be out!"


View of my street. I absolutely love the colors of the flowers against the white house. 


Home, sweet, home


A picture of my room. 

This past week we also had to say goodbye to a couple of sweet friends. Two of our team members finished their terms and headed back to the States. I tried to talk them into staying a little longer (like, a couple years longer), but I didn't have much luck. These girls made such an impact on this town, and they will for sure be missed!


Even though life looks so different this Christmas, it has been such a sweet time of remembering the real reason behind the celebration. We have received a gift that is far greater than anybody on Earth could give. The sacrifice Jesus made seems so much sweeter to me this season. Hoping you get to share the hope of this gift with someone this year.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
-Isaiah 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment